What Type of Transformer Will I Need for Imported Equipment?

Loaded cargo boat in ocean - What type of transformer will I need for imported equipment? If you’re importing equipment from another country, you must ensure you have the correct transformer for the voltage and frequency of the country of origin. Voltage and frequency vary widely by region, so it’s crucial to verify the right power transformer specifications before purchasing a commercial or industrial transformer. 

Types of LV Transformers Needed for Different Regions 

For most imported commercial and industrial equipment, you will require a low-voltage (LV) step-up or step-down transformer (under 1kV). Step-up transformers are used to increase the voltage of an AC power supply, while step-down transformers are used to decrease the voltage. The type you choose will depend on the specifications of each region of origin.  Due to international electrical standards, it is very common that you will need to power your imported equipment with a Distribution or Isolation transformer rather than an Autotransformer, this is for an additional level of safety.  Here are some of the common industrial voltages and frequencies used in the global market: 
Region  Voltage  Frequency 
Canada  600 V & 208 V  60 Hz 
USA   480 V & 208 V  60 Hz 
Europe  400 & 416V  50 Hz 
China  380 V  50 Hz 
It’s important to note that this is not an exhaustive list, and there may be other voltage and frequency standards in different countries. Therefore, it’s always a good idea to consult with a professional to determine the correct transformer type for your specific needs. 

Get the Best Transformer for Imported Goods from VCM Solutions   

With our reach stretching further than ever before, we see equipment from every corner of the globe. If you need a transformer for your imported equipment, VCM Solutions will get you up and powered in as little as two weeks with our expedited service. Contact us as soon as possible for the best pricing! 

Contact Us